When I set out to build my first WordPress website, I thought it would be easy, it wasn’t. I quickly found out that there’s a lot more to it than just choosing a domain name and writing some content. There are many options to consider at each step to ensure that your website fulfills your needs and many technical issues to resolve. These include, but are not limited to:
- Choosing a platform (WordPress.com, WordPress.org, or one of the many others, such as Joomla, Drupal, Weebly, Wix, Squarespace, etc.), a domain name, a web hosting provider, a security certificate, a theme and a page builder
- Understanding terms like headers (h1 – h6), pages versus posts, widgets versus plugins, etc.
- Optimizing the site for speed and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Quirks of WordPress and page builders: adding pages, using permalinks, breadcrumbs, text, pictures, video (self-hosting versus Vimeo and YouTube), plugins, setting a child theme and backing up the website.
- Making logos and graphics, file types and resizing images
- Setting up eCommerce
- Marketing and advertising: costs, how-to and what to expect
I provided background information and step by step instructions in my blog, it’s freely available to everyone. However, even with these instructions, building your first website is still a daunting task to do alone and you will likely have many questions along the way. When I was making my first WordPress website, I wished that there was someone I could go to for help, without paying an arm and a leg. So, I am offering this service to others like me, who are looking for a little help to build their own website.
I don’t claim to be an expert, in fact, I still consider myself to be a relative novice. However, as you can see from my blog posts and from the website you’re looking at now, you don’t need years of computer programming experience to build a website. In fact you don’t need to write any code and you can add a lot of bells and whistles using plugins. If you’re looking for someone to give you friendly one on one instruction for a relatively low price, I can probably save you a lot of time and frustration.
Note: this site is brand new and I’m still figuring out what services to offer and how to package them. If you’re willing to share your thoughts, ideas and needs, I’d love to hear from you.
Still thinking of using my services, see how it works below:
Send me an email and let me know a little bit about what you hope to do. You can either see my contact page, or send me a message through the chat window in the bottom right of the screen. If I’m online, I’ll get right back to you, if not, I’ll chat with you as soon as I can. Let me know:
When do you want to meet?
- Please see my calendar (coming soon) to check my availability.
Where do you want to meet?
- I have a preferred location at a coffee shop in downtown Guelph, parking is free and the coffee is good! If you have a place of business, I may be able to meet you there.
What do you want help with?
- Just give me a general idea of what you’re hoping to do and we’ll go from there. Are you hoping to build a WordPress website from scratch? Do you need help creating a logo? etc.
Payments will be made when we meet, I accept:
- Credit cards swiped in-person, using the Square Magstripe reader
- I can accept credit cards payments online using my eCommerce page